The Local Hardship Fund is designed to support comrades at Keele who face particular hardship. “Particular hardship” means that the member is low-paid (e.g. small fractional contract; or hourly-paid equivalent to only a small fraction) AND that the strike days disproportionately affect them (e.g. it’s the only day(s) they work; or it’s the day(s) they work most). Note that the usual position is that members should expect to lose a day’s pay for taking a day’s strike action, but that claims from those who would be disproportionately affected by any loss will be prioritised.

We expect that you will need to apply for the national UCU Fighting Fund ( in addition to this provision. The local hardship fund is intended to augment this fund in cases where there is particular hardship.

Here you will find information on how to donate and how to put in an application.

Donating to the Keele University UCU Local Hardship Fund

Unity Trust Bank

Account name: UCU Keele

AC: 20391579

Sort code: 60-83-01

Keele University UCU Local Hardship Fund: Policies and Procedures

Keele University UCU branch has created a local hardship fund specifically aimed at assisting staff losing income due to strike action.

This document sets out the policies and procedures for claiming money from the hardship fund.

  1. Anyone claiming assistance through the hardship fund must be a member of the UCU.
  2. Anyone claiming assistance through the hardship fund must have taken strike action.
  3. All payments will be made by cheque or BACS. This is a condition of our bank and cannot be changed by the branch – Cash cannot be issued.
  4. All claims will be assessed by a hardship fund committee to ensure compliance with national guidelines.
  5. 3 Payslips with no deductions must be provided to allow for average net pay to be established.

The following procedures have been implemented to make this process as easy as possible.

Completion of form

Please would you complete the electronic form and attach the required evidence along with a scanned copy of your payslip or a letter confirming deductions as soon as possible and email to

Evidence of loss of earnings/hardship

Please send in the following:

  • a copy of the payslip(s) which shows deductions of earnings or any other evidence that shows you took part in strike action.
  • copies of 3 separate payslips that contain no deductions of earnings  

We are not asking for further evidence of hardship but this can be included at your discretion.

Guidance on how to calculate average net monthly earnings and net strike loss

To calculate your net monthly income, take an average of your net income from three pay slips. 

Make sure you add any deductions such as house rents and utility bills, but not student loans, because they are equal to a tax.

Average monthly income:

(Net monthly income (month a) + Net monthly income (month b) + Net monthly income (month c)) / 3 = average net monthly income

Net strike loss:

average net monthly income x 12 / 365 = net daily loss

The usual payment is £50 per day of strike action. However, additional payments can be made at the discretion of the Hardship Committee once it is clear how many claims we have.

Please submit your claim as soon as possible.

For further information please contact Fabienne Emmerich C/o